Sunday, March 2, 2014

School Age Reading Comprehension Storytimes

I've been experimenting this year with programs that support Ohio's Third Grade Reading Guarantee.My challenge was to create a program that would include sharing fun new books along with a related comprehension activity with groups that varied between 30 to 60 more children at a time. I came up with a thirty minute program called Book Blast.Children are divided into two teams and each given a "buzzer". The "buzzers" are actually three paper circles number 1,2,& 3. The buzzers are held together with metal brads and are color coded for each team.I explain the game before I start reading, emphasizing that they should listen carefully to the story, since teams will be competing to see who remembers most about the book. In a thirty minute program, I ask between 6 and 10 multiple choice questions between the two teams. They answer the questions as a group by using their "buzzers" to hold up the number of the correct answer. So far this works very well. Kids enjoy the game and the buzzers ensure that everyone on the team gets to play!

No comments: